Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Week 3 Part 1:

Communication works when we all are speaking the same language. What happens when your language isn't "understood" to the language you're speaking to? I'm sure we all have felt this frustration of mis-communication via "what the heck are you saying"??? I can attest from my own experience talking to a cell phone carrier that they have their own language of plans that are attached to said names of rates that are only available for said times and all I said was "what"??? Social media provides a layman's terminology to express opinions with business entities. Who would've thought a "at" (@) via twitter to a business would be heard? The internet, the biggest listener there is in the world, just upped their connection with the real people that can make an impactful action. Now, what if the internet wasn't here to listen? What forms did we use before aol and juno were a thing? Snail mail has been assigned that metaphor for mail communication for a reason. The time taken to send that message and be heard, is time wasted on other facets of your life. Thank goodness for the internet! Don't you think?

I've never had a positive interaction with a business through social media, because I'm old school and pick up the phone. I'm not gonna lie, I wish some businesses had text messaging! I prefer asking questions to a person and not hide behind the key board. Plus, I prefer privacy when airing out grievances with others or businesses. Maybe I come from the school of thought of, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all on social media. Social media in business and also personal can be divisive and mis-understood to readers depending on so many unforeseen variables. Don't you think?

If I was a business owner and received positive negative comments, I'd first take a look at the over all voice of my brand to see what is appropriate. Am I professional corporate entity, or am I local taco shop. I feel the voice behind the brand messaging is just as important. I feel that whatever the comment is, a concern or a compliment needs to validated with some sort of response. Most people in life, including those on the internet... plainly just want to be heard. It can be a professional "we appreciate your comment and value your feedback" to "Hola, I sorry for your displeasure and we're pretty slammed over here, it is Taco Tuesday, yah know, but we're open to hear your concerns. Stop over for Taco Tuesday on us". I feel that the feelings conveyed behind the tone and language of the copy written is what makes consumers either connect or feel like they're talking to a RoboCall center. Have you ever felt like you're talking to a RoboCall center person?

As discussed in our textbook reading this week. Communication is about listening. Social Media allows for consumers to be heard in their OWN language, forcing the business to acutely listen to their potential customer or maybe their potentially leaving customer. How businesses decide to engage with the consumers can be successful if they acknowledge their comments, make the consumer feel that they are heard, and leave them going forward that positive things can come out of negative situations. I'd like to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I’m the same way and prefer to pick up the phone if I have an issue! It’s definitly important to make sure your online presence and the voice you create closely follows what your brand is all about. I love that you pointed out that a lot of the time, people literally just want to be heard, so sometimes a simple response is all that’s necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old School is almost always the best solution when it comes to dealing with a problem. Id rather pick up a phone and call and talk to a person than email or type it out.

    ReplyDelete